Welcome to Tiny Table Cooks… – a failsafe stash of recipes set to keep you and your family fed. We’ve teamed up with some of the country’s best cooks, bakers and foodies to bring you some tasty inspo, store cupboard saviours and freezable feasts.
The Happy Pear started way back in 2004 with a small veg shop and a big dream. Fast forward to 2020 and brothers Steve and Dave have 4 cafes, a farm, a product range, a roastery, 6 online courses, 4 cookbooks, 120 amazing employees and a community of over 1 million people eating more veg! With a focus on creating a healthier, happier world, the duo believe that the key to happiness is good health and a great support network. Their brand new book The Happy Pear: Vegan Cooking for Everyone aims to make vegan food simple, creative and totally irresistible thanks to step-by-step guides, fun variations on classic dishes and top tips.
The Happy Pear’s Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
A few words from Dave and Steve… A lovely quick take on the traditional Italian pasta dish. It’s quick to make and tastes amazing too! Nutritional yeast is a ‘cheesy’ flavoured condiment that is available in all good health food stores. It brings a ‘cheesy’ taste to this dish, without any of the saturated fat.
1 x 400g gluten-free spaghetti
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tsp salt
The greens of 1 leek – approx 200g
1 large carrot (300g max)
1 red chilli (leave out or reduce if you don’t like spice)
300g oyster mushrooms – (300g max)
2 tbsp tamari
200g fresh cherry tomatoes
400g fresh tomatoes
160g of tinned cooked lentils
180ml red wine
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes – (370g max)
Salt and pepper to taste
Decent bunch fresh basil
Salt and pepper
1. Cook the gluten-free spaghetti as per the instructions on the back of the pack. Once cooked, drain and rinse it.
2. Finely chop the greens from the leek. Grate the carrot, and finely slice the chilli into small pieces. Finely chop the tomatoes and chop the cherry tomatoes in half. Drain and rinse the can of lentils. Finely chop the oyster mushrooms.
3. Put 1 teaspoon of oil in a large pot over high heat, once the pan heats up, add the leek, chilli and grated carrot and 1 tsp of the salt. Cook for 3 mins stirring regularly.
4. Add the oyster mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes stirring regularly. Add the tamari and cook for a further minute.
5. Next, add all the fresh tomatoes, the other tsp of salt, stir well, add the drained and rinsed lentils, maple syrup and the red wine and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil. Once it boils, reduce to a simmer and add the drained and rinsed pasta. Stir it well, mixing everything thoroughly.
7. Pluck the basil leaves from their stalks and set aside, chop the basil stalk finely and add into the pot. Garnish with the basil leaves and serve with nutritional yeast. Enjoy!
Cooked up The Happy Pear’s Spag Bol? We’d love to see your dish snaps – upload to Instagram and tag @tinytableofficial alongside the hashtag #tinytablecooks